By Amber William
As a society, we are putting in a lot more thought when it comes to what we put in our bodies. This thought and care has made its way into the sex industry, as it should — I care about what I put in/around my genitals, don’t you?
Organic lube, in general, prides itself on being free of hormones, synthetic chemicals, and gentle to our sensitive areas. With ingredients you can actually pronounce, it is likely your body (and sex life) will appreciate the switch.
However, organic lube is still a pretty niche market, and while people may have a general feeling of what it is, it’s always good to sort fact from fiction. In that light, here’s everything you need to know about organic lube!
For a guide on choosing the best lube in general — including silicone and oil-based lubes, check here!
Organic lube vs. natural lube: What’s the difference?
While natural and organic are synonymous, it is essential to note that there is a slight difference between the two. Organic lubes, in particular, tend to be created with organic ingredients that are free of artificial chemicals and fertilizers.
However, not all natural/organic lubricants are created equally. As Dr. Laura Streicher noted, “People see the word ‘organic,’ and they think it’s good for their vagina, but nothing could be sillier. Arsenic is organic and natural, but it doesn’t mean it’s right for you. The idea that just because something is organic means that it is better or safer — it’s marketing, not science.”
Therefore it is essential to be hypervigilant and research your product’s ingredient lists before you purchase!
What are the benefits?
As we become more conscientious of what we put in and on our bodies, more and more people are opting for alternatives.
For those who are vegan, organic lubricants can be a reprieve, and there are a few that are 100% vegan. However, you don’t have to be vegan to purchase them; maybe you’re trying to be environmentally conscious step by step? This could be a fun way to spice things up in the bedroom while making that transition.
These lubes can also be beneficial to those with sensitive skin or who are prone to yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis. Ingredients like glycerin, a key ingredient found in many over-the-counter options, has been linked to an overgrowth of yeast.
For those wanting to steer clear of parabens, organic lubricants are also another solid choice.
Top 5 products to get you started!
- YES, natural lubricants are certified organic and natural. They are also free from parabens, glycerine, hormones, skin irritants, and are moisturizing. (They are even available on prescription in the UK).
- Good Clean Love is an Oregon-based company that produces 100% organic and vegan water-based lubricants. Their products were named the safest lubricant on the market in a National Institutes of Health (NIH) study.
- Aloe Cadabra Natural Aloe Lubricant is 100% natural, 100% vegan, and FDA cleared. Their lubricants are Ph balanced, chemical-free, hormone, and estrogen-free and are a 2-in-1 personal lubricant and vaginal moisturizer.
- Sliquid has an array of water, oil, and silicone-based lubricants that are all paraben and glycerin free, however, their line of organic lubricants, in particular, is aloe vera based and contain 95% organic ingredients, and they are hypoallergenic!
- Sustain is made with 96% organic ingredients and very clearly lists all the ingredients they use in their formulas.
Maybe go DIY?
The best thing about organic lubricants is that you can make them at home! It’s not uncommon to hear of coconut oil or aloe vera being used as lubricants. Make sure to be mindful of the drawbacks of using an oil-based lubricant (not latex compatible, can leave stains on fabrics like bedsheets).
For a guide on the best coconut oils to use, check here!
==="Practice makes pleasure" with Lioness, the world's smartest vibrator.
Using built-in sensors and an intuitive mobile app, Lioness actually lets you visualize your arousal and orgasms.
Simply use Lioness like any other vibrator, then review the results on your phone. Soon, you'll begin to understand how your body responds - and how to make every climax stronger and more enjoyable.
Our woman-led engineering team has dedicated YEARS to improving your pleasure, and we can't wait for you to experience Lioness for yourself.
Click here to learn more about the Lioness.