I’ve scoured the internet and every adult shop in my area to bring you the ULTIMATE and UP-TO-DATE 2018 list for the best lubes for anal sex.
Whether you’re preparing to try anal sex with a partner or a sex toy (or even exploring anal play with the Lioness) for the first time or you’re an all-things-butt connoisseur looking for what’s new in the anal lube world in 2018, you’ve come to the right place. Since the anus doesn’t self-lubricate like the vagina, you got to give it the love of lube. Lots of it. Like seriously lots.
This bear's got the right idea.
Anal Lube 101
Before we get to my ultimate favorites, first let’s get some Anal Lube 101 out of the way first to ensure a safe and fun adventure. Anal lube generally breaks up into 3 material categories: silicone-based, oil-based, and water-based.
- It’s great for long-lasting play: Silicone lube doesn’t really get absorbed into the human body nor does it wash away with water. This means it will stay slick and slippery longer without needing to reapply the lubricant frequently.
- Body-safe: Silicone lubes tend to be hypoallergenic, meaning it will rarely cause allergic reactions or irritation on your body. Always make sure to read the ingredients.
- Will ruin some sex toys: This is one you’ll hear a lot throughout different blogs and at sex toy shops. The true answer is that it depends on the silicone grade in both the lube and the silicone sex toy. The problem is that not all companies will state their material grades, which can leave you with a sticky, ruined toy. If the toy doesn’t strictly state that it’s medical-grade or platinum silicone, don't risk it.
- The clean-up will take some time: While it can be a pro that silicone lube doesn’t wash away with water while you’re using it, it makes the clean-up a little more difficult. It can also stain fabrics, like your bed sheets, which will require a good machine wash to remove. To clean off your body, try using a wash towel, soap, water, and some grease elbow.
- Lasts for a long time: Like silicone lubes, it stays slippery and slick for a long time during anal play. Oil lubes won't wash away with water or saliva.
- Great for foreplay: The great thing about oil lubes is that it can double as oil for a sensual massages and other foreplay like hand jobs. They also tend to have lovely scents to them, if that’s your thing.
- Can’t use with latex condoms: Oils degrade latex meaning it’ll cause latex condoms to tear and break.
- Difficult to clean up: Oil lubes tend to get messy and will require soap to clean off the slipperiness on your body and fabrics.
Update: If you're curious to learn more about how to use coconut oil as a lubricant for sex (including anal), you can read our article on the topic here!
- Compatible with latex and all sex toys: Since its main ingredient is water, it will be gentle enough and compatible with all materials like latex condoms and silicone toys. It’ll spare you more sexytime since you won’t have to sit there and read all the material compositions of everything you’re using.
- Easy clean ups: Usually with just a quick water rinse or wet wipe, it’ll clean up most of the water based lube off your body and fabrics.
- Will need to reapply frequently: Water lubes get absorbed into the skin which means during high activity and friction, it can quickly disappear and lose its slickness. You will need to reapply often to avoid any anal injuries!
The BEST Anal Lubricants of 2018
Now, onto my 2018 list of the best lubes for anal sex:
Silicone-Based Lube: Pjur Analyse Me Relaxing Silicone Anal Glide. First of all, let’s all take a moment to appreciate the play on words. The company, Pjur, has been around for over 2 decades and they’re so pro at making lubes, that they make lubes specifically for anal sex. This particular one has jojoba oil which is an ingredient that is said to have natural relaxing properties...and worst case, at least it’ll moisturize your butt! This Pjur lube is condom-safe and high-grade silicone. My favorite part about this silicone anal lube is that a few drops go really long way. It’s a good bang for your buck! You can buy it here: Amazon, $29.97.
Water-Based Lube: Sliquid Naturals Sassy Lubricating Gel. Although many water-based lubricants can constantly dry out during anal, this lubricant is formulated as a thicker gel specifically for anal. It’s definitely a high viscosity, making it really nice and thick for continued anal play without needing to reapply as much as other water-based lubes. This lube is hypoallergenic, paraben-free, and vegan! You can buy it here: Amazon, $12.40.
Oil-Based Lube: Boy Butter Original Formula. As adorable and clever as the packaging is, don’t underestimate how much this oil-based lube packs a damn punch when it comes to anal. Boy Butter is specially formulated to last as long as silicone lubes, but also to clean easily off your body and fabrics. Their formula of vegetable oils like coconut oil and glycerin makes it look like similar to butter, but is odorless, water-soluable, and gentle on the skin. You can buy it here: Amazon, $17.68.
Best Newcomer Lube: Maude Shine Silicone Lubricant. Maude is a Brooklyn-based company founded by women in 2017 with a mission to make products simple, high-quality, and inclusive (Yes!). So naturally, I’m all about their silicone lube that is FDA approved, paraben-free, and made in the USA. It works great for anal sex as a few drops of the lube keeps the slipperiness going for a long time. Also, the beautiful bottle itself is something you can have on your nightstand without anyone ever batting an eye. You can buy it here: Maude, $25.
- Natural Lube: Coconut Oil. Ah, coconut oil. The product millennials either made you love or hate. Who knew it was as great for anal play as it is for cooking? Coconut oil is a natural, anti-fungal ingredient, making this very safe for daily use. It’s a great and natural way to keep things low friction for an extended period of anal sex. Also, it can double as a sensual massage oil and make the whole place smell so yummy! If you decide to take this natural lubricant route, make sure to buy organic, extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil to make ensure you’re getting coconut oil in its purest and safest form. I really like this one: Amazon, $10.99.
So there you have it, friends. Now go be safe, have fun, and I'll be here continuing my search for best lubes for anal sex for 2019!
Want to learn more about what you like? The Lioness may be able to help!
The world’s most advanced vibrator. Precision sensors let you literally see your arousal and orgasm. Experiment, understand yourself, and have better orgasms — after all, as the saying goes, “never measured, never improved.
Yup, some of these are affiliate links. We're a small company that doesn't like ads / creepy marketing, and it's the best way to support writing this content that we think is needed but isn't core to our business.